1.29.2009

Twilight

I fell. Not a physical fall, but fell for the Twilight books. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you have not been watching T.V and you don't have young daughters. It is a book series about a vegetarian Vampire that falls in love with a human. Well, after much resistance I read them, and honestly I couldn't put them down. The movie also came out, but it was terrible. As they always say, the book is always better than the movie, and they could not be more right in regards to this one.

It made me think, what is the draw to these books for us? I obviously don't believe in vampires and the other mythical characters in the books, but I had to keep reading it. I think that it is the love between them that keeps you enamored with the book. We as women long for that one true love. The man that will love you for who you are and would do anything to be with you. There is chemistry between them that you can't ignore.

I believe that there are two chemistry types. One where you have that sick feeling in your stomach when you see him. You can't think of anything other than him and basically lose your head for at least the first three months of dating. The other is a comfortable chemistry. The person that you are very comfortable with and love to be around. You can still have a life and see him too. I've definitely had the first one, and it made me a complete idiot. The second is not as explored for me, but you will hurt less if it doesn't work out. So, how important is the chemistry you have? Just because you don't have butterflies every time you see him, should you continue a relationship without that? I don't know. It feels like settling, but the comfortable chemistry can have deeper meaning than a relationship based on emotion. Someone who used to be my friend said all the time that love is a choice, not a feeling. You chose who you love. Chose wisely, don't settle and love deeply.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Ok- knowing you read them all has thrown me over the edge - i have had 3 people trying to get me to read them for months!! (Not to take away from the more meaningful part of your post :) ) Call me!

Lisa said...

You should read them. I was VERY skeptical but I like them.